Welcome Guest!
Create an Account
login email:
password:
site searchwhere to watchcontact usabout usadvertise with ushelp
Message Board

BobcatAttack.com Message Board
Ohio Basketball
Topic:  Fire Phillips Now

Topic:  Fire Phillips Now
Author
Message
NashvilleKat
General User

Member Since: 12/20/2004
Location: Nashville, TN
Post Count: 65

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  Fire Phillips Now
   Posted: 2/2/2019 6:09:43 PM 
Why wait. It's obvious this team is going nowhere. Can't shoot from 3, can't shoot free throws, unathletic etc. I think Groce respects us too much and called off the dogs, as not to embarrass us any more on a valuable special event. Why not let everybody know we're looking, so the fan base can get excited.
Back to Top
  
Bobcat1998
General User

Member Since: 11/7/2012
Post Count: 1,177

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Fire Phillips Now
   Posted: 2/2/2019 6:19:07 PM 
NashvilleKat wrote:
Why wait. It's obvious this team is going nowhere. Can't shoot from 3, can't shoot free throws, unathletic etc. I think Groce respects us too much and called off the dogs, as not to embarrass us any more on a valuable special event. Why not let everybody know we're looking, so the fan base can get excited.


And the fact we came out totally flat AGAIN is on Saul! Some will say "Saul didnt shoot bad from 3" BUT THE GUYS HE PICKED AND COACHED DID!!!!!
Back to Top
  
SBH
General User

Member Since: 12/20/2004
Post Count: 2,092

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Fire Phillips Now
   Posted: 2/2/2019 6:22:37 PM 
They came out tentative as hell, overpassing and getting bad shots as the clock ran down.

Saul had zero passion today. Why should he expect his team to exhibit any?

Actually, there's something to be said for cutting the cord now and see if any of the assistants can make a difference.

Last Edited: 2/2/2019 6:25:49 PM by SBH

Back to Top
  
OhioCatFan
General User



Member Since: 12/20/2004
Location: Athens, OH
Post Count: 9,928

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Fire Phillips Now
   Posted: 2/2/2019 6:39:12 PM 
I've not been on the Fire Saul bandwagon, but this game is edging me in that direction. What I can't figure out is how can a team that beat Marshall and FIU -- two good C-USA teams -- and was able in those games to shoot the three at least at a passable level, can't hit the broadside of a battleship now. It must have something to do with team chemistry and confidence. Those are things a coach is responsible for instilling and building. I remember in Saul's first year a former player came to many of our games, and I had an opportunity to talk with him about the team on at least two occasions. He said he was impressed by Saul, and called him a "player's coach." Doesn't look that way now. Why?

Last Edited: 2/3/2019 9:55:00 AM by OhioCatFan


"It is better to be an optimist and be proven a fool than to be a pessimist and be proven right."

Note: My avatar is the national colors of the 78th Ohio Veteran Volunteer Infantry, which are now preserved in a climate controlled vault at the Ohio History Connection.

Back to Top
  
Buckeye to Bobcat
General User

Member Since: 9/10/2013
Post Count: 1,317

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Fire Phillips Now
   Posted: 2/2/2019 7:43:57 PM 
You folks have VERY valid points and not going to disagree, but I think you're aiming your anger at the wrong guy.....

Last Edited: 2/2/2019 7:44:22 PM by Buckeye to Bobcat

Back to Top
  
GraffZ06
General User



Member Since: 1/5/2005
Location: Dayton, OH
Post Count: 612

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Fire Phillips Now
   Posted: 2/2/2019 7:55:32 PM 
Buckeye to Bobcat wrote:
You folks have VERY valid points and not going to disagree, but I think you're aiming your anger at the wrong guy.....


Certainly Schaus has to shoulder his share of the blame here. Two basketball hires in a row now are looking to end up not that great.

Back to Top
  
Gman
General User

Member Since: 5/16/2018
Post Count: 153

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Fire Phillips Now
   Posted: 2/2/2019 8:07:10 PM 
And now ya want to fire Saul before the end of season, he has sucked for almost 5 years, letting him coach a few more games is not gonna hurt anyone or anything. I've watched people make excuses for Saul, but you know what ? In the end, it all comes out !!!

Schaus is OUr AD you take chances on coaches, this one didn't work out, Schaus knew it hence no contract extension last year.

Last Edited: 2/2/2019 8:10:52 PM by Gman

Back to Top
  
colobobcat66
General User

Member Since: 9/1/2006
Location: Watching the bobcats run outside my window., CO
Post Count: 3,078

Status: Online

  Message Not Read  RE: Fire Phillips Now
   Posted: 2/2/2019 8:10:13 PM 
GraffZ06 wrote:
Buckeye to Bobcat wrote:
You folks have VERY valid points and not going to disagree, but I think you're aiming your anger at the wrong guy.....


Certainly Schaus has to shoulder his share of the blame here. Two basketball hires in a row now are looking to end up not that great.



I would argue that they were both good hires going in. Just didnít turn out the way we all wanted. 20/20 hindsight is just so easy.
Back to Top
  
OU_Country
General User



Member Since: 12/6/2005
Location: US33 between Athens and the 'Bus, OH
Post Count: 6,654

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Fire Phillips Now
   Posted: 2/2/2019 8:36:51 PM 
Only if Schaus goes with him.


Twitter: @ou_country

Back to Top
  
OU_Country
General User



Member Since: 12/6/2005
Location: US33 between Athens and the 'Bus, OH
Post Count: 6,654

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Fire Phillips Now
   Posted: 2/2/2019 8:37:47 PM 
Gman wrote:
And now ya want to fire Saul before the end of season, he has sucked for almost 5 years, letting him coach a few more games is not gonna hurt anyone or anything. I've watched people make excuses for Saul, but you know what ? In the end, it all comes out !!!

Schaus is OUr AD you take chances on coaches, this one didn't work out, Schaus knew it hence no contract extension last year.


Five years..... Lol. Whatever you want to believe.


Twitter: @ou_country

Back to Top
  
Gman
General User

Member Since: 5/16/2018
Post Count: 153

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Fire Phillips Now
   Posted: 2/2/2019 8:48:41 PM 
OU_Country wrote:
Gman wrote:
And now ya want to fire Saul before the end of season, he has sucked for almost 5 years, letting him coach a few more games is not gonna hurt anyone or anything. I've watched people make excuses for Saul, but you know what ? In the end, it all comes out !!!

Schaus is OUr AD you take chances on coaches, this one didn't work out, Schaus knew it hence no contract extension last year.


Five years..... Lol. Whatever you want to believe.


600 G's a yr...He has won what ? his overall record is what ? his MAC record is what ? like I said Saul has sucked for 5 years stop trying to sugar coat it, his 5 year performance speaks for itself.


Last Edited: 2/2/2019 8:50:56 PM by Gman

Back to Top
  
OU_Country
General User



Member Since: 12/6/2005
Location: US33 between Athens and the 'Bus, OH
Post Count: 6,654

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Fire Phillips Now
   Posted: 2/2/2019 8:56:36 PM 
Gman wrote:
OU_Country wrote:
Gman wrote:
And now ya want to fire Saul before the end of season, he has sucked for almost 5 years, letting him coach a few more games is not gonna hurt anyone or anything. I've watched people make excuses for Saul, but you know what ? In the end, it all comes out !!!

Schaus is OUr AD you take chances on coaches, this one didn't work out, Schaus knew it hence no contract extension last year.


Five years..... Lol. Whatever you want to believe.


600 G's a yr...He has won what ? his overall record is what ? his MAC record is what ? like I said Saul has sucked for 5 years stop trying to sugar coat it, his 5 year performance speaks for itself.




I'm not sugar coating shit G. I'm saying not all five years have been bad.
C'mon man....


Twitter: @ou_country

Back to Top
  
Gman
General User

Member Since: 5/16/2018
Post Count: 153

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Fire Phillips Now
   Posted: 2/2/2019 9:14:16 PM 
OU_Country wrote:
Gman wrote:
OU_Country wrote:
Gman wrote:
And now ya want to fire Saul before the end of season, he has sucked for almost 5 years, letting him coach a few more games is not gonna hurt anyone or anything. I've watched people make excuses for Saul, but you know what ? In the end, it all comes out !!!

Schaus is OUr AD you take chances on coaches, this one didn't work out, Schaus knew it hence no contract extension last year.


Five years..... Lol. Whatever you want to believe.


600 G's a yr...He has won what ? his overall record is what ? his MAC record is what ? like I said Saul has sucked for 5 years stop trying to sugar coat it, his 5 year performance speaks for itself.




I'm not sugar coating shit G. I'm saying not all five years have been bad.
C'mon man....



To Bobcat Basketball Standards... the last 5 years have sucked. I didn't research it but I'd say Saul is one of the 1st Ohio coaches that coached 5 years and didn't make the MAC Tournament Championship game.

Back to Top
  
BobcatSports
General User

Member Since: 2/2/2006
Post Count: 841

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Fire Phillips Now
   Posted: 2/2/2019 9:36:31 PM 
I think itís a real simple question. After 5 years is Saulís arrow pointing up or down? After todayís outright embarrassment on what was supposed to be a special Convo historic event, we get throttled. And that wasnít exactly the second coming of Duke that kicked OUr -ss and stole our lunch money. I find it hard to find anything positive in this program as it is currently constructed.
Back to Top
  
OU_Country
General User



Member Since: 12/6/2005
Location: US33 between Athens and the 'Bus, OH
Post Count: 6,654

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Fire Phillips Now
   Posted: 2/3/2019 8:22:10 AM 
BobcatSports wrote:
I think itís a real simple question. After 5 years is Saulís arrow pointing up or down? After todayís outright embarrassment on what was supposed to be a special Convo historic event, we get throttled. And that wasnít exactly the second coming of Duke that kicked OUr -ss and stole our lunch money. I find it hard to find anything positive in this program as it is currently constructed.


Aaannnnddddd some of that responsibility lies on the AD, who, in my opinion, needs to leave with the coach he allowed to be a lame duck this year.


Twitter: @ou_country

Back to Top
  
OUVan
General User



Member Since: 12/20/2004
Location: Bethesda, MD
Post Count: 4,992

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Fire Phillips Now
   Posted: 2/3/2019 9:06:37 AM 
OU_Country wrote:
BobcatSports wrote:
I think itís a real simple question. After 5 years is Saulís arrow pointing up or down? After todayís outright embarrassment on what was supposed to be a special Convo historic event, we get throttled. And that wasnít exactly the second coming of Duke that kicked OUr -ss and stole our lunch money. I find it hard to find anything positive in this program as it is currently constructed.


Aaannnnddddd some of that responsibility lies on the AD, who, in my opinion, needs to leave with the coach he allowed to be a lame duck this year.


Why are we firing Schaus? Just because of one basketball hire that didn't work out?
Back to Top
  
Buckeye to Bobcat
General User

Member Since: 9/10/2013
Post Count: 1,317

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Fire Phillips Now
   Posted: 2/3/2019 9:41:04 AM 
OUVan wrote:
OU_Country wrote:
BobcatSports wrote:
I think itís a real simple question. After 5 years is Saulís arrow pointing up or down? After todayís outright embarrassment on what was supposed to be a special Convo historic event, we get throttled. And that wasnít exactly the second coming of Duke that kicked OUr -ss and stole our lunch money. I find it hard to find anything positive in this program as it is currently constructed.


Aaannnnddddd some of that responsibility lies on the AD, who, in my opinion, needs to leave with the coach he allowed to be a lame duck this year.


Why are we firing Schaus? Just because of one basketball hire that didn't work out?


Let me know when you check out revenues on the ticketing and development side, how fundraising is going when that staff changes over every 4 months, a football facility not controlled by athletics, still no indoor basketball facility after a decade of being here, and oh yeah the last two hires being duds.
Back to Top
  
OU_Country
General User



Member Since: 12/6/2005
Location: US33 between Athens and the 'Bus, OH
Post Count: 6,654

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Fire Phillips Now
   Posted: 2/3/2019 10:37:33 AM 
OUVan wrote:
OU_Country wrote:
BobcatSports wrote:
I think itís a real simple question. After 5 years is Saulís arrow pointing up or down? After todayís outright embarrassment on what was supposed to be a special Convo historic event, we get throttled. And that wasnít exactly the second coming of Duke that kicked OUr -ss and stole our lunch money. I find it hard to find anything positive in this program as it is currently constructed.


Aaannnnddddd some of that responsibility lies on the AD, who, in my opinion, needs to leave with the coach he allowed to be a lame duck this year.


Why are we firing Schaus? Just because of one basketball hire that didn't work out?


Because of the trend in how basketball as a whole is marketed, how the GameDay experience is, and how anyone not donating big bucks is treated as a second class citizen more than ever in my opinion. Ohhh, and the perceived disconnect between the staff in the Convo, and the alumni base outside of Athens County.

The opportunities with alumni in Columbus, Dayton and elsewhere nearby that are left on the table are insane.

The operation as a whole feels stale and is in desperate need of new energy and fresh ideas.

All of that ultimately falls under the responsibility of the CEO of the Athletic department, right?


Twitter: @ou_country

Back to Top
  
Diamond Cat
General User



Member Since: 12/20/2004
Post Count: 624

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Fire Phillips Now
   Posted: 2/3/2019 11:37:48 AM 
Quote:


Because of the trend in how basketball as a whole is marketed, how the GameDay experience is, and how anyone not donating big bucks is treated as a second class citizen more than ever in my opinion. Ohhh, and the perceived disconnect between the staff in the Convo, and the alumni base outside of Athens County.

The opportunities with alumni in Columbus, Dayton and elsewhere nearby that are left on the table are insane.

The operation as a whole feels stale and is in desperate need of new energy and fresh ideas.

All of that ultimately falls under the responsibility of the CEO of the Athletic department, right?


This is 1000% correct! As Bob Seger says - Turn the Page.

Back to Top
  
Deciduous Forest Cat
General User

Member Since: 12/20/2004
Location: Ohio
Post Count: 3,498

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Fire Phillips Now
   Posted: 2/3/2019 12:54:07 PM 
Buckeye to Bobcat wrote:
OUVan wrote:
OU_Country wrote:
BobcatSports wrote:
I think itís a real simple question. After 5 years is Saulís arrow pointing up or down? After todayís outright embarrassment on what was supposed to be a special Convo historic event, we get throttled. And that wasnít exactly the second coming of Duke that kicked OUr -ss and stole our lunch money. I find it hard to find anything positive in this program as it is currently constructed.


Aaannnnddddd some of that responsibility lies on the AD, who, in my opinion, needs to leave with the coach he allowed to be a lame duck this year.


Why are we firing Schaus? Just because of one basketball hire that didn't work out?


Let me know when you check out revenues on the ticketing and development side, how fundraising is going when that staff changes over every 4 months, a football facility not controlled by athletics, still no indoor basketball facility after a decade of being here, and oh yeah the last two hires being duds.


Isn't the Convo an indoor basketball facility?
Back to Top
  
Buckeye to Bobcat
General User

Member Since: 9/10/2013
Post Count: 1,317

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Fire Phillips Now
   Posted: 2/3/2019 1:17:28 PM 
Deciduous Forest Cat wrote:
Buckeye to Bobcat wrote:
OUVan wrote:
OU_Country wrote:
BobcatSports wrote:
I think itís a real simple question. After 5 years is Saulís arrow pointing up or down? After todayís outright embarrassment on what was supposed to be a special Convo historic event, we get throttled. And that wasnít exactly the second coming of Duke that kicked OUr -ss and stole our lunch money. I find it hard to find anything positive in this program as it is currently constructed.


Aaannnnddddd some of that responsibility lies on the AD, who, in my opinion, needs to leave with the coach he allowed to be a lame duck this year.


Why are we firing Schaus? Just because of one basketball hire that didn't work out?


Let me know when you check out revenues on the ticketing and development side, how fundraising is going when that staff changes over every 4 months, a football facility not controlled by athletics, still no indoor basketball facility after a decade of being here, and oh yeah the last two hires being duds.


Isn't the Convo an indoor basketball facility?


For the technical English Grammer Police, a Basketball Practice Facility. I am not going through how little time our guys get on it due to everything else and getting booted over to the rec center. For how "powerful" we have been, it's an embarrassing point of how low of priority basketball has.
Back to Top
  
FearLeon
General User



Member Since: 3/12/2005
Post Count: 1,698

Status: Online

  Message Not Read  RE: Fire Phillips Now
   Posted: 2/3/2019 2:06:20 PM 
Buckeye to Bobcat wrote:
Deciduous Forest Cat wrote:
Buckeye to Bobcat wrote:
OUVan wrote:
OU_Country wrote:
BobcatSports wrote:
I think itís a real simple question. After 5 years is Saulís arrow pointing up or down? After todayís outright embarrassment on what was supposed to be a special Convo historic event, we get throttled. And that wasnít exactly the second coming of Duke that kicked OUr -ss and stole our lunch money. I find it hard to find anything positive in this program as it is currently constructed.


Aaannnnddddd some of that responsibility lies on the AD, who, in my opinion, needs to leave with the coach he allowed to be a lame duck this year.


Why are we firing Schaus? Just because of one basketball hire that didn't work out?


Let me know when you check out revenues on the ticketing and development side, how fundraising is going when that staff changes over every 4 months, a football facility not controlled by athletics, still no indoor basketball facility after a decade of being here, and oh yeah the last two hires being duds.


Isn't the Convo an indoor basketball facility?


For the technical English Grammer Police, a Basketball Practice Facility. I am not going through how little time our guys get on it due to everything else and getting booted over to the rec center. For how "powerful" we have been, it's an embarrassing point of how low of priority basketball has.


It's really a great point that Buckeye To Bobcat makes.

Last Edited: 2/3/2019 2:06:53 PM by FearLeon


#BleedGreen #TrentIsGOAT

Back to Top
  
Bobcat1996
General User

Member Since: 1/2/2017
Post Count: 252

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Fire Phillips Now
   Posted: 2/3/2019 5:31:39 PM 
I was hesitant to post on this subject, until the season is complete. First of all the coaching staff are neighbors and friends to many in the Athens community. Nobody wants to see their neighbor or friend lose a job. However, we all know that the yearly salary the head coach is making is at the top compared to other university employees. That type of pay demands positive results. I'm certain the coaching staff would agree. A question I have for posters on this website is, do you think Ohio's AD should continue to offer the next coach a bump in salary or should he scale back the pay? Is it really necessary to offer the next coach $600,000?
Back to Top
  
Deciduous Forest Cat
General User

Member Since: 12/20/2004
Location: Ohio
Post Count: 3,498

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Fire Phillips Now
   Posted: 2/3/2019 7:55:09 PM 
I thought the NCAA determines how much court time you can actually have, right? Are we not getting our set amount?
Back to Top
  
Buckeye to Bobcat
General User

Member Since: 9/10/2013
Post Count: 1,317

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Fire Phillips Now
   Posted: 2/3/2019 9:06:00 PM 
Deciduous Forest Cat wrote:
I thought the NCAA determines how much court time you can actually have, right? Are we not getting our set amount?


I'm gonna spell it out for you since you seem to royally miss the point of my previous 40 times of explaining this whole situation time and time again:

We only have one court for ALL of our student-athletes to use
Men's Basketball, Women's Basketball, Volleyball, Wrestling need to have access to it starting in October.

In addition, so does the dance team and cheerleading squads.

This doesn't include game nights, event nights, OHSAA Tournament, or anything of priority from the university to use the facility. And it doesn't include when soccer or baseball or any of our other sports wants to do session on the floor inside the gym when the Indoor Facility is booked BECAUSE IT'S NOT MANAGED BY THE ATHLETIC DEPARTMENT!

Time on the floor is super limited even in the offseason. This is my way of saying our players don't have a private gym like most other schools in the MAC have (hell even Kent is going to announce building one shortly). Without a facility for our players to continuously work on their games when it's not a game night, we lose critical development time that goes un-noticed, whether our players want time on a shooting gun or want to work on specific skills with a ballboy during off-times.

I don't know how much clearer I need to be when our facility development projects have been grossly mis-managed by our athletic department. Hell we couldn't even build an indoor facility right with full end-zones. What makes you think we can do this right under the current administration?

Last Edited: 2/3/2019 10:11:24 PM by Buckeye to Bobcat

Back to Top
  
Showing Replies:  1 - 25  of 80 Posts
Jump to Page:  1 | 2 | 3 | 4    Next >
View Other 'Ohio Basketball' Topics
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                             



Copyright ©2019 BobcatAttack.com. All rights reserved.  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Use
Partner of USA TODAY Sports Digital Properties