Welcome Guest!
Create an Account
login email:
password:
site searchwhere to watchcontact usabout usadvertise with ushelp
Message Board

BobcatAttack.com Message Board
Ohio Basketball
Topic:  Same Crap, Same Year

Topic:  Same Crap, Same Year
Author
Message
ohio9704
General User

Member Since: 2/11/2006
Post Count: 885

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  Same Crap, Same Year
   Posted: 3/19/2013 11:19:27 PM 
Another lose to a top 100 RPI PowerHouse in Denver.  Another blown halftime lead and another blown second half lead.  I hope you folks who cling to the fact that we have achieved so much continue to cling to the MAC CO-Championship (thanks to Akron's issues).  Another chapter in the year that was a failure.  I use to mock Akron's "Think Bigger" campaign, but tonight just shows me the players, staff, and I am sure to see the satisfied fanbase has no desire to "Thing Bigger".  I will be mocked for being negative, but tonight is a prime example how this team has failed from players to coaches.  When defending this season, please don't use sweet 16 and senior records in your arguments.  look at this season as a whole and see the failure on so many levels.  They went 14-2 in one of the worst MAC years in history.  They failed against every quality opponent.  Senior class as a 4-year thing, great.  This year, epic fail on every account.  Had chance to take this program to a new level and failed miserably.  
Back to Top
  
JSF
General User



Member Since: 1/29/2005
Location: Where the AAC, SEC, and C-USA Overlap
Post Count: 4,858

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Same Crap, Same Year
   Posted: 3/19/2013 11:22:12 PM 
I will give you $250 in cash to say that to the face of any of our seniors or Jim Christian.


"Loyalty to a hometown or city is fleeting and interchangeable, but college is a stamp of identity."- Kyle Whelliston, One Beautiful Season.

Back to Top
  
OhioStunter
General User



Member Since: 2/18/2005
Location: Chicago
Post Count: 1,358

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Same Crap, Same Year
   Posted: 3/19/2013 11:22:15 PM 
ohio9704 wrote:
Another lose to a top 100 RPI PowerHouse in Denver.  Another blown halftime lead and another blown second half lead.  I hope you folks who cling to the fact that we have achieved so much continue to cling to the MAC CO-Championship (thanks to Akron's issues).  Another chapter in the year that was a failure.  I use to mock Akron's "Think Bigger" campaign, but tonight just shows me the players, staff, and I am sure to see the satisfied fanbase has no desire to "Thing Bigger".  I will be mocked for being negative, but tonight is a prime example how this team has failed from players to coaches.  When defending this season, please don't use sweet 16 and senior records in your arguments.  look at this season as a whole and see the failure on so many levels.  They went 14-2 in one of the worst MAC years in history.  They failed against every quality opponent.  Senior class as a 4-year thing, great.  This year, epic fail on every account.  Had chance to take this program to a new level and failed miserably.  


That title makes no sense.
Back to Top
  
ColumbusCat '11
General User



Member Since: 12/8/2010
Location: Columbus, OH
Post Count: 415

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Same Crap, Same Year
   Posted: 3/19/2013 11:22:40 PM 
ohio9704 wrote:
Another lose to a top 100 RPI PowerHouse in Denver.  Another blown halftime lead and another blown second half lead.  I hope you folks who cling to the fact that we have achieved so much continue to cling to the MAC CO-Championship (thanks to Akron's issues).  Another chapter in the year that was a failure.  I use to mock Akron's "Think Bigger" campaign, but tonight just shows me the players, staff, and I am sure to see the satisfied fanbase has no desire to "Thing Bigger".  I will be mocked for being negative, but tonight is a prime example how this team has failed from players to coaches.  When defending this season, please don't use sweet 16 and senior records in your arguments.  look at this season as a whole and see the failure on so many levels.  They went 14-2 in one of the worst MAC years in history.  They failed against every quality opponent.  Senior class as a 4-year thing, great.  This year, epic fail on every account.  Had chance to take this program to a new level and failed miserably.  


98% agreed. Winning the regular season title was nice, but we completely no showed in every important game. It was just one of those years. I think the future is bright still but this year was a huge opportunity that we didnt take. Were better than this
Back to Top
  
ohio9704
General User

Member Since: 2/11/2006
Post Count: 885

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Same Crap, Same Year
   Posted: 3/19/2013 11:23:41 PM 
JSF wrote:
I will give you $250 in cash to say that to the face of any of our seniors or Jim Christian.


Was the MAC good this year?  Did we beat any real quality opponents.  Did we achieve the objectives as a program?
Back to Top
  
the123kid
General User

Member Since: 1/26/2011
Post Count: 323

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Same Crap, Same Year
   Posted: 3/19/2013 11:25:39 PM 
Please refer to the thread that discusses building for the future and you will have a more logical and realistic idea of what it means to build a program.
Back to Top
  
JSF
General User



Member Since: 1/29/2005
Location: Where the AAC, SEC, and C-USA Overlap
Post Count: 4,858

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Same Crap, Same Year
   Posted: 3/19/2013 11:25:56 PM 
ohio9704 wrote:
JSF wrote:
I will give you $250 in cash to say that to the face of any of our seniors or Jim Christian.


Was the MAC good this year?  Did we beat any real quality opponents.  Did we achieve the objectives as a program?


As always, you completely evade any challenge.


"Loyalty to a hometown or city is fleeting and interchangeable, but college is a stamp of identity."- Kyle Whelliston, One Beautiful Season.

Back to Top
  
LoganElm_grad09
General User

Member Since: 9/9/2010
Location: South Bloomingville, OH
Post Count: 933

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Same Crap, Same Year
   Posted: 3/19/2013 11:26:35 PM 
This season wasn't great, but it wasn't as bad as you doom and gloomers (mainly the thread author) want to think.  EVERYBODY has disappointing seasons.  I don't care if you're UCLA, Kansas, or (heh) Kentucky, not every year goes the way that we think it should.
Back to Top
  
ohio9704
General User

Member Since: 2/11/2006
Post Count: 885

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Same Crap, Same Year
   Posted: 3/19/2013 11:28:29 PM 
JSF wrote:
ohio9704 wrote:
JSF wrote:
I will give you $250 in cash to say that to the face of any of our seniors or Jim Christian.


Was the MAC good this year?  Did we beat any real quality opponents.  Did we achieve the objectives as a program?


As always, you completely evade any challenge.


as usual, you evaded the question! 
Back to Top
  
ohio9704
General User

Member Since: 2/11/2006
Post Count: 885

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Same Crap, Same Year
   Posted: 3/19/2013 11:29:37 PM 
the123kid wrote:
Please refer to the thread that discusses building for the future and you will have a more logical and realistic idea of what it means to build a program.


Please see the part about having everyone back from a MAC Championship team and not being able to win a game against a quality (top 100) opponent all year.  Beating Powerhouse Denver on the road is not unrealistic.

Last Edited: 3/19/2013 11:30:32 PM by ohio9704

Back to Top
  
JSF
General User



Member Since: 1/29/2005
Location: Where the AAC, SEC, and C-USA Overlap
Post Count: 4,858

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Same Crap, Same Year
   Posted: 3/19/2013 11:29:58 PM 
Because you asked irrelevant questions. Again: $250, cash.


"Loyalty to a hometown or city is fleeting and interchangeable, but college is a stamp of identity."- Kyle Whelliston, One Beautiful Season.

Back to Top
  
LuckySparrow
General User



Member Since: 10/15/2012
Location: Lost somewhere in Chicagoland, IL
Post Count: 551

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Same Crap, Same Year
   Posted: 3/19/2013 11:30:41 PM 
Not going to lie, I'm a bit worried about our play against good teams.

Something tells me that once JC has his own recruits he'll be a better in game coach and motivator. I would have liked to grabbed at least a couple of those games vs top 100 RPI teams and I think that's a fair expectation.


What a day at the Convo.....Wow!

Back to Top
  
ohio9704
General User

Member Since: 2/11/2006
Post Count: 885

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Same Crap, Same Year
   Posted: 3/19/2013 11:31:31 PM 
JSF wrote:
Because you asked irrelevant questions. Again: $250, cash.


You make an unrealistic proposal, I ask questions that you can't answer without admitting this teams failure.
Back to Top
  
LuckySparrow
General User



Member Since: 10/15/2012
Location: Lost somewhere in Chicagoland, IL
Post Count: 551

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Same Crap, Same Year
   Posted: 3/19/2013 11:32:05 PM 
ohio9704 wrote:
the123kid wrote:
Please refer to the thread that discusses building for the future and you will have a more logical and realistic idea of what it means to build a program.


Please see the part about having everyone back from a MAC Championship team and not being able to win a game against a quality (top 100) opponent all year. Beating Powerhouse Denver on the road is not unrealistic.


I think, at this point, you have a legitimate gripe.

I thought at least a couple of these games would bounce our way.


What a day at the Convo.....Wow!

Back to Top
  
ColumbusCat '11
General User



Member Since: 12/8/2010
Location: Columbus, OH
Post Count: 415

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Same Crap, Same Year
   Posted: 3/19/2013 11:36:57 PM 
Did this senior class do great things and improve the program? Yes
Was this season a bitter disappointment? Yes
Did we win against any quality teams? No
Is winning the MAC regular season title important? Yes
Is the program moving in the right direction? Yes
Did we miss a huge opportunity to move the program even further? Yes
Is Jim Christian the right coach? Yes, I think
Should we be satisfied with this season? No, I dont think so
WIll it affect my support of Ohio Basketball at all? Hell no
Does Miami still suck? Yes
Will Akron get murked by VCU? Yes
Am I talking to myself? Potentially


Back to Top
  
the123kid
General User

Member Since: 1/26/2011
Post Count: 323

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Same Crap, Same Year
   Posted: 3/19/2013 11:40:03 PM 
ColumbusCat '11 wrote:
Did this senior class do great things and improve the program? Yes
Was this season a bitter disappointment? Yes
Did we win against any quality teams? No
Is winning the MAC regular season title important? Yes
Is the program moving in the right direction? Yes
Did we miss a huge opportunity to move the program even further? Yes
Is Jim Christian the right coach? Yes, I think
Should we be satisfied with this season? No, I dont think so
WIll it affect my support of Ohio Basketball at all? Hell no
Does Miami still suck? Yes
Will Akron get murked by VCU? Yes
Am I talking to myself? Potentially




Agreed, great way to sum up the season.  There are also a million things we don't see behind closed doors.
Back to Top
  
JSF
General User



Member Since: 1/29/2005
Location: Where the AAC, SEC, and C-USA Overlap
Post Count: 4,858

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Same Crap, Same Year
   Posted: 3/19/2013 11:44:48 PM 
ohio9704 wrote:
JSF wrote:
Because you asked irrelevant questions. Again: $250, cash.


You make an unrealistic proposal, I ask questions that you can't answer without admitting this teams failure.


How is it unrealistic? I have the money. It's not hard to find one of these guys. Or is the unrealistic part the fact you're just a coward on the Internet?

Again, you're attacking an imaginary strawman. I never said anything about the team failing one way or the other. My issue is with you and the bile you spew. Can't wait to win next season so I won't see you around.


"Loyalty to a hometown or city is fleeting and interchangeable, but college is a stamp of identity."- Kyle Whelliston, One Beautiful Season.

Back to Top
  
LuckySparrow
General User



Member Since: 10/15/2012
Location: Lost somewhere in Chicagoland, IL
Post Count: 551

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Same Crap, Same Year
   Posted: 3/19/2013 11:46:30 PM 
I think an important thing to take away from this season is that the program IS HEADED in the RIGHT direction.

Plenty of games on local (STO) TV. Others on ESPN2, ESPNU, ESPN3, CBS Sports, Fox Sports, etc. Student & alumni support was great in Cleveland. Students turned out, along with locals/etc at the Convo. There was genuine excitement on campus for the Akron game. 

A new generation of Ohio fans were developed within the last 4 years, with higher expectations of where this program could/should be.

This was a good year, IMO.


What a day at the Convo.....Wow!

Back to Top
  
lovebobcat
General User

Member Since: 12/23/2004
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Post Count: 228

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Same Crap, Same Year
   Posted: 3/19/2013 11:57:45 PM 
ColumbusCat '11 wrote:
Winning the regular season title was nice, but we completely no showed in every important game. It was just one of those years. I think the future is bright still but this year was a huge opportunity that we didnt take. Were better than this


If we all take last year's NCAA run out of the equation -- this team didn't get the chance to play quality opponents and maybe beat them -- there wasn't a dramatic difference between last regular season and this one. Our best non-conference win last year was over Northern Iowa, which didn't have that great of a year last year and couldn't have been higher in the RPI than Richmond (our best win) was this year. We had two good wins over Akron last year and didn't this year, but we also didn't have any bad losses (Eastern Michigan, Toledo) this year while we did last year.

This year feels like a letdown just because of the expectations created by what happened in March last year. If Groce was still here and the season ended 24-10, it'd be more of a letdown than it is. It's still way too early to tell how Jim Christian will do here.

If Akron made one more basket last year in the MAC finals and we had a better second half this year in the MAC finals, this year's team would be dancing and last year's team wasn't. There's not as huge of a difference in the team's play over these two seasons as we all might think.


Back to Top
  
MiamiBlowsChunks
General User

Member Since: 4/2/2012
Post Count: 38

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Same Crap, Same Year
   Posted: 3/20/2013 12:02:35 AM 
LiquidDateII wrote:
Not going to lie, I'm a bit worried about our play against good teams.

Something tells me that once JC has his own recruits he'll be a better in game coach and motivator. I would have liked to grabbed at least a couple of those games vs top 100 RPI teams and I think that's a fair expectation.


I don't post here very often but I've followed the program fairly closely since entering OU in the 1990's. Hell, I once told a buddy Lewis Geter would the best Bobcat for years to come and the fans better show up and watch him ... oops.

I'm not sold on JC but, yes, you're right; he heeds his players. For whatever reason, things didn't click with him and this group 100% (and you need 100%).

From the games I could watch, something was missing. The defense wasn't that active, Ivo and Kellogg seemed lost and, man, Offutt not shooting the ball in his final game? The same dude who tore up Michigan, USF and UNC last March? Yikes.

Still glad OU is winning a ton of games and making the postseason. But, when you get a chance to be great, you need to take advantage of it.

Sad to think Trent and Coop both ended their OU careers in the NIT 1st round. They needed a proper sendoff and Iowa City and Denver ain't it.  Now, off to watch the win over USF.











Still Looking for Curtis Simmons

Back to Top
  
UpSan Bobcat
General User



Member Since: 8/30/2005
Location: Upper Sandusky, OH
Post Count: 1,853

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Same Crap, Same Year
   Posted: 3/20/2013 12:03:22 AM 
I understand the disappointment, but the biggest "crap" to me is that one of Ohio fan's immediate reaction to the end of the season is to put down what this awesome group of seniors accomplished.
Back to Top
  
bigtillyoopsupsideurhead
General User



Member Since: 12/1/2006
Location: Cincinnati
Post Count: 1,260

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Same Crap, Same Year
   Posted: 3/20/2013 12:17:10 AM 
ohio9704 wrote:
They went 14-2 in one of the worst MAC years in history.    


Stop saying this, it just isn't true. 

MAC Conference rankings according to Kenpom.com

2013 - 15th
2012 - 17th
2011 - 18th
2010 - 16th
2009 - 18th


I'd really like to know where you come up with this stuff. 




"Ohio would be the top," Pollitz said of Miami's rivals. "Yeah, I'd say Ohio. Their students really get involved. It's pretty intense. The students really try to antagonize us.

"They'll take your name and make fun of it. If they know you've done something stupid, they'll make fun of that. Now they're getting your picture off of Facebook and making some kind of sign out of it and passing it around in the stands."

 

 

Back to Top
  
OUbobcat9092
General User

Member Since: 12/28/2004
Post Count: 712

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Same Crap, Same Year
   Posted: 3/20/2013 12:31:18 AM 

I don't post here very often but I've followed the program fairly closely since entering OU in the 1990's. Hell, I once told a buddy Lewis Geter would the best Bobcat for years to come and the fans better show up and watch him ... oops

Lewis Geter won POY in the MAC his Senior year!


Sad to think Trent and Coop both ended their OU careers in the NIT 1st round. They needed a proper sendoff and Iowa City and Denver ain't it.  Now, off to watch the win over USF.

Trent won the 1st round game in the NIT his senior year (GWU) and then lost in the 2nd round @ Iowa.


Bring Back Men's Track & Field

Back to Top
  
Ozcat
General User



Member Since: 1/4/2005
Location: Gahanna, OH
Post Count: 812

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Same Crap, Same Year
   Posted: 3/20/2013 1:03:49 AM 
9704 - If you call yourself a fan, I'm appalled.  You're a miserable person and must live a terrible, lonely life.
 
Last year, for 4 games in March, we overachieved.  This season, we achieved.
 
You bring up no quality wins. Ok.  Everyone gets that, but is that really something to be ashamed of?  Every single team we lost to on the road is playing in the Big Dance or the NIT.  We had one bad loss to Winthrop, that's it. 
 
Like we said a few days ago, Ohio basketball just isn't for you.  Abandon sports all together, or I suggest rooting for Duke.

Last Edited: 3/20/2013 1:04:17 AM by Ozcat

Back to Top
  
Monroe Slavin
General User

Member Since: 12/20/2004
Location: Oxnard, CA
Post Count: 5,732

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Same Crap, Same Year
   Posted: 3/20/2013 1:04:07 AM 
bigtillyoopsupsideurhead wrote:
ohio9704 wrote:
They went 14-2 in one of the worst MAC years in history.    


Stop saying this, it just isn't true. 

MAC Conference rankings according to Kenpom.com

2013 - 15th
2012 - 17th
2011 - 18th
2010 - 16th
2009 - 18th


I'd really like to know where you come up with this stuff. 



Seriously?  Did you see the teams in conference that were other than us, 'kron and kents-for-the-last-part-of-the-year?

Not very good at all.


Where's the band?!
WHERE"S THE BAND?!

Back to Top
  
Showing Replies:  1 - 25  of 53 Posts
Jump to Page:  1 | 2 | 3    Next >
View Other 'Ohio Basketball' Topics
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                             



Copyright ©2014 BobcatAttack.com. All rights reserved.  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Use
Partner of USA TODAY Sports Digital Properties